Being unaware of something doesn’t make a person superior. Still, people will use that angle to involve themselves in a conversation when they should be listening instead. In Pulp Fiction, this situation is handled brilliantly:
Vincent: I don’t watch TV.
Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there’s an invention called television, and on this invention, they show shows, right?
Why can’t people admit to doing or watching certain things? We all fart, pick our noses, and watch shows that don’t make us smarter. So what? Why deny it? Look at all the money these shows make. Somebody is certainly watching them, and the viewers can’t all be dolts.
Here are the top things people deny doing:
- Watching The Bachelor, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and Project Runway.
- Watching sitcoms.
- Watching the news.
- Watching TV in general. The person who tells me she doesn’t own a TV had better have a huge Lego collection or an extraordinary dildo.
- Driving while drinking, texting, or eating.
- Burping, farting, yanking, flipping, scratching, sniffing, singing, and talking to pets when nobody is around.
- Using Facebook and Twitter.
- Watching funny YouTube videos at work.
- Playing online games.
- Enjoying porn, whether video or written form.
People around me quote Seinfeld constantly and refer to the characters. I don’t watch the show; never did. Yet, I am aware of it and the premise-less premise. When I confess to never watching the show, I get grilled.
“Who on earth hasn’t watched Seinfeld?”
“Me, on Uranus.”
“You, of all people, would love the show. You write comedy.”
“Can’t do it. The dubbed-in laughter makes me crazy. I don’t like being told when to laugh.”
“What? Still …”
“I’m aware of the show. Carry on and quote away. I’ll not interrupt you and decide for myself whether it’s worthy of a reaction.”
The next time someone is mid-story, don’t slow the flow by pleading ignorance. You’ll delay the punchline and annoy the speaker. Open your ears and close your lips around the straw that leads to the substance that makes everyone more interesting.
How good was this post?
Click on a star to rate it or just sit there and stare.
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far. Oh, for fuck's sake, help a brother out. Click a star, puh-lees.